Saturday, October 1, 2011

Banana Republic Mad Men in lace

Lately, Banana Republic has not been offering items that has caught my eye. It was a brilliant idea when they jumped on a Mad Men collection. Unfortunately, the only piece that I wanted was the cream sleeveless lace top. I held off buying because I already have an Aritzia version with sleeves. When BR put the collection on sale, I knew I had to place my order before they were all gone.

(Yes, those are bags under my eyes. I've been trying to finish the sixth book in the Clan of the Cave Bear series.) $43 after discount

XS were all gone so I went with next best - small - and hoped that my tailor can fix it. I also bought it in XS in black just to compare the fit. I showed my tailor the black one and she agreed that she can work with the cream to make it fit well.



The shoulders were pulled up about a half inch and the back neckline was reshaped. She also took it in along the sides. Cost $18.


I kept it in the closet before taking it to my tailor. The return date was looming near so I finally had to decide whether or not to keep. She was also deluged with back-to-school alterations so it took a while for me to get the top back.


I'm glad I kept this top even if I had to spend a little more for alterations. I know I will get much use out of it for years to come.

I've seen what other bloggers previewed from the Mad Men collection. It was a lovely collection but either the fit was off or the material was not likeable.

What did you think of the collection?



8 comments:

  1. The collection was awful, awful, awful! I ordered cigarette pants from them. I had expected it to be a little on the big side, but not to the point that they weren't alterable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Cynthia C: That big, huh? That's too bad. Have you seen the ones from Joe? It is wool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been able to understand BR sizing lately. I swear they changed it because I used to wear a lot of BR but now I can't fit into anything without alterations! Regardless, the top is so cute on you and glad that you were able to make it work with the alterations. The lace is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tiffany: BR sizing is hit-and-miss for me. I had to return the sleeveless ruffle front blouse because the waist hit at my hip. Awful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great on you! I HAVE to find a tailor that I love.. you have inspired me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your camel dress in your most recent entry! So classy :) I wonder if they still have it in stores.
    For some reason I wasn't able to comment on that blog :/
    PS- I'm 5'3! I never really had problems with the height of knee boots

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah, i'm from vancouver too so its nice to see another vancouver blog. :)

    thank you for posting tailor prices! i've never actually taken anything to a tailor because my mom was pretty handy but now that i am living away from home, i should keep my eye out. where do you go?

    for some reason, i can't comment with my wordpress account. i just started a blog so i'll post it here :) http://1to24.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete